Clean Cooking: Seared Prawns, Cottage Cheese & Greens on Whole Wheat Pita
Clean Cooking is a Tablecrafter series helping you prepare nutritionally-balanced, flavorful, and delicious food you can eat daily without feeling deprived.
Whether you're steadily holding on to your New Year's resolution to eat clean this year or looking for something tasty, you'll end up loving this recipe. A light, protein-packed dish, this variation on an open-faced sandwich hits the target as the perfect midday snack.
A myriad of textures comes through from a single bite: the plump, juicy, and lightly-spiced prawns stands out here, accompanied by crisp iceberg lettuce and velvety cottage cheese. These three, while harmonious together, nevertheless enjoy distinct flavors while served atop a toasted whole wheat pita.
Seared Prawns, Cottage Cheese & Greens on Whole Wheat Pita
Yield: 2 servings
Time: 15 minutes (10 min prep / 5 min cooking)
- 6–8 pieces tiger prawns, peeled and deveined
- 2 pcs whole wheat pita
- ¼ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and garlic.
- When the garlic just begins to brown, add the prawns. Sprinkle the cayenne pepper.
- Cook the prawns for two to three minutes on each side. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the pita over a grill, torch, or gas burner. Cut in half.
- Spread the cottage cheese, sprinkle with lettuce, and top with the prawns.
- Serve with lemon or limes.
Send us a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or tag us on Instagram. We'd love see more of your work.