Make It Fresh: Melon Pan
Make it Fresh is a Tablecrafter series that features great recipes that you can recreate at home.
Popular in many countries, particularly in Asia and Latin America, the sweet melon pan captures more hearts by the minute. Not necessarily melon flavored, its name can be attributed to its resemblance to a melon. Although the bun has a various flavorings, from actual melon to being filled with custard. Simultaneously sweet, crisp, and fluffy the bun triumphs in textural variety. Savour each crumb of this bun at home by making yourself a batch.
Yield: 16 servings
Time: 2 hours and 45 minutes (2 hours and 30 min prep / 15 min baking)
- 300g bread flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp instant dry yeast
- 120g all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- sugar, for sprinkling
Procedure: Bread Dough
- Combine the yeast, milk, and sugar in a small bowl or jug and cover. Set aside for 5 minutes then stir in the egg.
- Combine the flour and salt in a stand up mixer with the hook attachment.
- Add the liquid mixture and stir to form a soft dough, knead for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough in a greased bowl and cover. Set aside in a warm place to proof for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Procedure: Cookie Dough
- Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until light and creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla essence, mix until throroughly combines. Fold through the flour and baking powder.
- Roll into a log and chill for 25 minutes.
- While the cookie dough is setting, divide the bread dough into 8 equal parts and knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Roll out the chilled cookie dough to 5mm thick. Using a round cookie cutter, cut out 3 inch wide cookies.
- Once all the bread dough has been kneaded and the cookie dough has been rolled out and cut, place the cookie dough on the divided bread dough and wrap together.
- Score the cookie dough surface diagonally and roll on the granulated sugar. Repeat for all bread rolls.
- Place the prepared bread rolls on a lined oven tray and set aside for about 10 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Did you enjoy our Melon Pan recipe? Let us know how much you enjoyed this recipe by sending us an email at email@example.com. We can't wait to hear more from you!