Tres Leches Rice Pudding with Cornflakes and Milk Crumbs
Among sweetened rice based desserts, our version of the rice pudding breaks from the traditional. Combining the best aspects of both baked custard and rice pudding, our baked tres leches rice pudding marries the tenderness of custard and the springy disposition of the rice. This dish displays all the hidden facets of milk: its slight sweetness and light creaminess. In contrast with the soft custard, the milk crumb and cornflakes provide a gamut of textures while enhancing the flavor of the custard itself. Seemingly intimidating and highly technical, our recipe can be easily replicated at home—not to mention, it looks stunning!
Baked Tres Leches Rice Pudding with Cornflakes and Milk Crumbs
Yield: 4–6 servings
Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes (20 min prep / 1 hr baking)
baked tres leches rice pudding
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup short-grain rice or sticky rice
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup rum or brandy
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup condensed milk
- butter, for greasing pan
- corn flakes, for garnish
- ¾ cup instant milk powder
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup white chocolate, melted
Sweet milk glaze
- ¼ cup cream
- ¼ cup condensed milk
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
Procedure: Milk Crumb
- Preheat oven to 250˚C.
- In a medium bowl, combine ½ cup of milk powder, flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Add the butter and stir with spatula until the mixture forms small lumps. Spread the crumbs onto a baking sheet and bake for about 10–15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Return the crumbs to a bowl, toss with the remaining ¼ cup dry milk until evenly coated. Pour the white chocolate over the crumbs, keep tossing until the chocolate is cooled comepletely and is no longer sticky.
Procedure: Baked Tres Leches Rice Pudding
- Prepare a 9-inch pan or pie dish by greasing well with butter.
- Cook the rice with the salt in boiling water, as you would cook pasta. Remove after about 10 minutes, the rice should be al dente.
- In another pot, mix the cream, evaporated milk, and condensed milk. Cook over low heat until fully incorporated. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, rum, vanilla, and a pinch of salt until combined. Add the warmed milk and rice.
- Pour the custard into the prepared pan. The rice should settle evenly along the bottom.
- Bake at 180˚C for about 50–60 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and slightly firm to the touch.
- Remove and let cool in the pan. Serve cold or at room temperature and store any leftovers in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap. Baked custard must be consumed within three days.
Procedure: Sweet Milk Glaze
Combine the cream, condensed milk, and cinnamon. Whisk until well combined.
At this point, you should have completed all the procedures for the components listed above: the baked tres leches rice pudding, milk crumbs, sweet milk glaze, and garnishes.
completed component portions
- 4–6 rounds of baked rice pudding
- ½ cup milk crumbs
- ½ cup sweet milk glaze
- ¼ corn flakes, for garnish
assembling everything together
- Place your cut baked rice pudding on your serving plate.
- Carefully spoon over around 2 tablespoons of the sweet milk glaze and spread evenly over the rice pudding.
- Scatter and arrange the milk crumbs and corn flakes on top. Serve immediately.
Did you enjoy our milky Tres Leches Rice Pudding? Send us a photo of your work, we'd love to see more of your kitchen projects. Email us your photos at firstname.lastname@example.org